Thursday, September 18, 2008

Which Microphone Should I Use with Dragon NaturallySpeaking?

Many of our customers using Dragon NaturallySpeaking prefer using table-top microphones instead of headsets because, honestly, they don't want (or have the time) to listen back to what they just said. In cases like these we make sure to recommend a microphone that will work comfortably and accurately in their workflow. The most important thing is accuracy. It is definitely worth spending a few extra bucks an a quality microphone so you actually get substantial results.

So I set out on the task of testing each desktop microphone we offer on novuscript.com to see which provides the highest quality of sound when using Dragon NaturallySpeaking. In the initial configuration of DNS they show you the signal-noise ratio which is a good indication of the sound quality that your microphone is producing. The percent ratio ranges from 0-50. 13 and below is a fail.

I also tested some headsets we offer as well. Here are the results.

  • Our Price: $179.00
  • Signal-Noise Ratio: 13-15 
Novuscript GN-1 Gooseneck
  • Our Price: $79.00
  • Signal-Noise Ratio: 14-16
Andrea NC-91 Monaural Headset (Included in DNS)
  • Our Price: $23.00
  • Signal-Noise Ratio: 18
VXI BlueParrot USB
  • Our Price: $228.00 (on sale)
  • Signal-Noise Ratio: 18-28
  • Our Price: $60.00 (on sale)
  • Signal-Noise Ratio: 18-24
I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional myself. I started using the Andrea NC-91 headset that came with it and had very good results. However, when I switched over to the Bluetooth Parrot Talk I had much better accuracy due to the headset's improved sound quality. I would recommend using a headset with excellent sound quality so you get results you are satisfied with at the end of the day. I was impressed that Nuance provided a decent headset with the product and surely recommend trying it out to see if that works for you. In my trials however, I found that upgrading to a higher fidelity microphone makes a world of difference. Oh yeah, and with a bluetooth head set you can walk around and stretch your legs while you dictate!

No comments:

©2014 American Dictation Corporation. May not be used or reproduced without permission.